Thursday 27 August 2009

Blob sharpening


A wrapping of leather(ette) and a couple of coats of gloss have the box looking a bit more like a piece of furniture now.




Once I got it all together there were some problems with the blobs. They're not very bright and not tracking well. Experimenting in a darkened room revealed that the blobs were ghosted, so I guess a first surface mirror would have been a good idea.



Trying to improve the blobs, I ordered a bandpass filter to replace the floppy disk improv and that has gotten rid of the slightly grainy artifacts.








While I was at it, I also ordered one of their m12 lens mounts and it means the focusing can be more precise so I'm looking forward to seeing the overall results.


I've also picked up a fisheye lens to see if I can do away with the mirror. It broadens the field of view nicely.






The compliant surface was interesting. I hunted high and low for xylene and found nothing. Out of desperation I tried white spirit and it worked a treat. I'm now on my 4th attempt, using A1 sheets of acetate from Fred Aldous and silicone but the compliant surface hasn't so far given the leap in tracking quality I'm looking for. My G4 powerbook struggles with CPU and frame rate in tbeta, but that is going to have to wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment