Monday 13 July 2009

The Box

I spent hours with Google Sketchup trying to model and plan the box dimensions and mirror placement. It's an excellent tool but I'm just not good enough with it and gave up on accurate blueprints.

I also spent hours brushing up on trig and trying to work out what the minimum depth I could get away with. Paper cutouts to scale were more helpful but in the end I decided to just put the mirror at 45deg. It's just a regular 4mm plate glass mirror fixed to a piece of chipboard with silicon sealant. Hopefully ghosting won't be an issue.



Wickes cut 18mm chipboard to size and all true & square. I used cabinet making corner blocks and wood glue to hold the thing together. Only after the first fit wasn't properly square did I think to use tie down straps around the outside to pull it all up tight whilst screwing & glueing.



The mirror supports and mirror are not yet fixed in place. A bit of experimenting with the camera show that there is only just enough space to allow the camera to see the whole of the LCD screen area in the mirror. I'm going to paint the interior in brilliant white to help produce a good diffused backlight.

No comments:

Post a Comment